Treat Head Lice With Essential Oils
The good news is that it is now possible to treat head lice with essential oils. Everybody knows that head lice are flat, wingless insects which infest the hair, feeding on human blood from the scalp and laying eggs. In length, they are between 2 and 4 mm, and their eggs, known as nits, get attached to the hair close to the scalp, hatching every 6 to 8 days. You can treat head lice with essential oils if you follow the right steps. It has been discovered that the people who could not get desired results failed to combine the correct essential oils.
If you want to treat head lice with essential oils, you should combine the following:
– 15 drops each of rosemary
– 20 drops tea tree oil
– thyme and lemon essential oils
– 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
The mixture of the items mentioned above should be massaged into the dry hair. Then, you use a plastic shower cap to cover, leaving for between 60 and 75 minutes before shampooing out.
In making a rinse, the first thing you need to do is to shampoo the hair. Then, make use of this mixture:
– A base of 4 to 6 teaspoons of pure coconut carrier oil or pure olive carrier oil
– Lavender essential oil – 4 to 6 drops
– Eucalyptus essential oil – 4 to 6 drops
– Rosemary essential oil – 4 to 6 drops
– Peppermint essential oil – 4 to 6 drops
– tea tree essential oil – 4 to 6 drops
To a glass of water, you should add 4 to 6 drops of the mixture. Then, slowly pour this over the head, massaging it in. You should not rinse out, as this is the last rinse. You will discover that, the lice will be killed. After rinsing, you may put another mixture in your conditioner or shampoo for use from time to time.
You will get good results when you decide to treat head lice with essential oils. For instance, the combination of eucalyptus oil and tea tree numb or suffocate the lice completely. The oils also make it easier to comb the hair to remove the dead bodies.
When you want to treat head lice with essential oils, you should be aware that thyme or rosemary should not be overused. Therefore, they should always substitute them with tea tree oil and geranium or lavender for eucalyptus. But if the lice infested individual has a history of epilepsy, you should not use essential oil because it has been discovered to cause seizures.
These are some other things to consider before you decide to treat head lice with essential oils:
- Peppermint essential oil may elevate high blood pressure.
- During pregnancy, rosemary or peppermint may be dangerous to the body.
- If the baby or child under 5 breathes eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil, his or her respiration may be slowed down or even stopped.
- Before essential oils are used, you should carry out a skin test 12 to 24 hours before use. This will help to confirm whether or not there will be any negative skin reaction.
Concerning how to treat head lice with essential oils, you should also be aware that essential oils should also be carefully used in treating a child suffering from lice infestation. For a kid having sensitive skin, add a drop of chamomile, a drop of eucalyptus, and another drop of tea tree to a dollop of conditioner the size of a golf ball, using after carrying out a normal shampoo. Then you should comb to remove the lice.
Lice Treatment Using Coconut Oil
One of the new things in the personal care industry is that it is possible to use coconut oil as a lice treatment. This is a good thing for millions of American families suffering from lice infestation. Head lice is capable of infesting people of any age, but they have been known to be common in children because of their habit of playing in close contact, sharing hats, combs, brushes, headphones, stuffed animals, clothing and sleeping bags.
It is easy to know if you or your child has fallen victim of head lice infestation. It is always the problem when you start experiencing intense itching behind the head or neck. The itching means that the lice is biting and sucking blood from the scalp. When your child repeatedly scratches the head, you should know that the lice are at work, and you should do something about it before it is too late. The good news is that you can use coconut oil for a lice treatment.
Why you should use coconut oil as a lice treatment
Coconut oil is a very powerful substance that can help you to treat head lice. Very fine oil is found in coconut milk, and coconut oil has almost the same temperature of your head, which is around 30 degrees. The good thing is it is present in many soap shampoos. Coconut oil in the soap will kill all stages of head lice. Four shampoos should be used every 3 days. This will kill most of the head lice because every successive shampoo you use will kill the newly hatched nymphs or eggs. The oil will stick to the body of the head lice, making it difficult for them to breath, leading to suffocation.
Steps to follow to use coconut oil as a lice treatment
- Step 1 – Get extra virgin organic coconut oil.
- Step 2 – Two spoonfuls of the solidified oil should be melted. Then you should allow it to cool a little. This is to prevent your scalp from burning.
- Step 3 – The coconut oil should be liberally applied to the scalp. This should be done at night so as to wash the hair the following morning.
- Step 4 – Massage well into the scalp. The coconut oil should be put on your hands, working it through the length of your hair. This is to suffocate the head lice and their eggs.
- Step 5 – Use a plastic wrap to wrap the hair. You may also a shower cap.
- Step 6 – Shampoo the hair. Make sure that a toxin-free shampoo is used. The whole scalp should be massaged, especially the neck area and the area behind the ears. Those are the usual places head lice hide.
- Step 7 – The following morning, a fine-toothed comb should be used in removing the eggs and dead lice. You should comb the hair from roots to tips of your hair. This should be repeated as many times as possible until your hair is free of the dead head lice.
For centuries, coconut oil has been a good substance for treating hair and scalp conditions. It is rich in saturated fatty acids (lauric acids/capric acids), and contains antifungal, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It is an excellent conditioner because of its antioxidant and soothing properties. To get good results with coconut oil, you really do not need to add synthetic ingredients. The reason is that, it is a powerful natural oil capable of providing other good results apart from just removing head lice. When you use coconut oil as a lice treatment, you will always find your hair soft, shiny and healthy.